If you want to select your career as a merchandiser, at first you should know about what is merchandising? Who is a Merchandiser? How to become a apparel merchandiser? Here you will get all of the techniques to become a successful garment merchandiser. Let’s read and prepare you for achieving your dream career.
Merchandising is the presentation of new products. All aspects of a product, including design, quality, and consumer demand must be considered.
Merchandiser is a person who merchandises the goods, specifically for export business. He work close with buyers to forecast trends, plan stock levels and monitor how well goods for selling. He also makes sure that goods are available in the right store, at the right time and at the right price. Merchandising is the dream career for a merchandiser. Some basic requirements must be needed to become a successful merchandiser.
|Fig: Working desk of an apparel merchandiser|
M– Should have good managerial capacity.
E– Should have efficient in both English correspondence and spoken.
R– Regular in office attendance.
C– Confident in taking any decision.
H– Must lead on honest life.
A– Always should show positive attitude to resolve any problem.
N– Nicely behaved and never does any argue with buyer and senior.
D– Should be devoted to service.
I– Should have good IQ.
S– Sincere in Work.
E– Enthusiastic in nature and excellent in dealing.
R– Regular in correspondence and rational in behavior.
Requirements to be a Good Merchandiser in the Apparel Industry or Buying House:
Everyone have a dream to be a good merchandiser, anywhere in the apparel industry or buying house. From the student life they are try to know information about how to prepare yourself to be a successful merchandiser?
Anybody can acquire good knowledge in apparel merchandising is becoming an asset for the garment sector and his limit of working experiences is expending all over the world. And within a short time his monthly remuneration will be surpassed his expectation.
|Fig: Checking sample quality by a merchandiser|
1. If you want to become a good merchandiser then educational background must be needed. Related course must be considered.
2. For getting this dream job, you should have good knowledge in both English written and spoken.
3. Knowledge about Computer literacy, Know the e-mail writing techniques and internet browsing.
4. Excellent behaviors, should be smart, strong personality and intelligent.
5. Know all fibers like:
- Natural fibers
- Animal fibers
- Mineral fibers
- Synthetic fibers
- Woven fabrics: The weaving patterns are Poplin, Oxford, Twill, Dobby, Jacquard, Corduroy, Checks, and Plaids.
- Knitted fabrics: The knitting patterns are Single jersey, Rib, Interlock Pique, Fleece, Terry, Variable ribs, Drop needle etc.
- All-over printing
- Screen print
- Reactive print
- Print with plastisol dye stuffs
- Discharge print
- Pigment print
- Flock print
- Foil print
- Lurex print
- Embossed print
- Heat transfer print
- Hi-density print
- Dip-dye print
- Plain embroidery with one color
- Plain embroidery with multi color
- Embroidery with lurex thread
- Embroidery on printing
- Embroidery with application
- Embroidery with application over application
- Embroidery with laser cut design
- Embroidery with sequins setting
- Proto sample
- Fit sample
- Size set sample
- Counter sample
- Sealed/Red/Yellow label sample
- Pre- production sample
- Lab test sample
- Flammability test sample
- Photo shoot sample
- Salesman sample
- Top over production sample
- Shipment sample
- Shrinkage/ Dimensional stability test
- Pealing test
- Crocking / rubbing test (Dry/wet)
- Perspiration test
- Color fastness test to light
- Cross staining test
- Washing fastness test
- Saliva test (for children’s wear)
- Tensile test
- Test of brushing of fabric
- Test of presence of AZO, PVC, Formaldehyde or any other carsegonic substance in the garments.
12. Good knowledge of Exporting and Importing countries
13. Knowledge on duty rates and customs regulations
14. Know all sea and freight forwarder.
15. Know all feeder and mother vessel schedule.
16. Keep updated records of container charges (20 feet, 40 feet, 40 feet high cube, 45 feet high cube)
17. Keep records of all garment trimmings and accessories like as Embroidery, Hanger, Labels, Laces, Elastic, Poly, Cartons and Garments manufacturing etc.
18. Keep records of all Spinning mills, Knitting mills, Dyeing factories with their M/C and production capacity.
19. Acquire good knowledge on consumption and costing.
20. Be sincere about packing list, assortment, carton and buyer instructions.
21. Take all updated news like inputs- outputs, daily garments production records from the factory manager.
22. Good knowledge about usual Raw materials, Apparel Inspection System and Quality Management System.
23. Clear conception of the usual potential Quality problem in Apparel merchandising.
24. Know all technical or commercial terms for accurate and efficient communication.
25. Should know about the Quota system, Free-trade, shipping and Banking documentation and regulations.
26. Know all buyers compliance and various standards.
27. Keep knowledge about order procedures of international buyers
28. Keep commitment with Buyers and Suppliers.
29. Make a habit of replying all mails without wasting any time.
30. Be sincere to your job and duties.
31. Never do anything on assumption always get clarification and keep written records with date and time.
32. Always show positive attitude to resolve all problem.
33. Always check all booking of fabrics and accessories before and after sending; if possible get it checked by third person.
34. Excellent power of motivation to improve public relations.
For become a successful merchandiser, you should follow and try to maintain above all these points or requirements. These requirements are very essential for the job preparation. Also needed some basic knowledge and skills for a garment merchandiser. These requirements, basic knowledge and skills will be helpful to get Merchandising career easily.